J&C Tropicals well-established and growing national tropical produce distributor is looking for a Shipping Manager. This individual will be responsible for coordinating the activities related to the inventory control, shipping, and managing day to day operations of Order Pickers. The Shipping Manager is also responsible for the proper rotation of inventory, order flow, issues with merchandise, keeping the coolers clean and organized and the accurate input of information in the system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Verifies weekly inventory count and provides variance report when required. Investigates any discrepancies with Repack Manager, Receiving , Inventory Control, Procurement, Sales and Accounting. Reports and recommends to management corrective actions to prevent future discrepancies.
- Ensures that coolers are organized by commodity in such a way that the oldest products are the first available to the pickers.
- Verifies day to day activities of Orders Pickers, Order Checker, Inventory Control and Shipping Coordinator.
- Documents missing or trouble merchandise. Triggers QC inspection and repack process, notifying Operations Manager and Inventory Control any quality issues, discrepancies or shortages.
- Ensures proper produce rotation based on FIFO parameters and/or overrides the system in case of quality concerns. Reports immediately any quality concerns to Inventory Control to trigger repack or QC process.
- Performs the Order Checking process as required.
- Coordinates or assist on the truck loading process as need it.
- Ensures truck loading maximizing loading efficiency and reduces drivers waiting time bellow 45 minutes.
- Verifies maximization of pallets, visually inspect product and packaging before loading. Make corrections as need it.
- Assists inventory and quality control process as required, ensures “0” shipping errors.
- Monitors cooler organization, cleaning, housekeeping as well as product placement.
- Ensures all products are properly identified with their respective PO# and TAG information (reprinting as neeeded). Verifies that all reserved orders are properly tagged and labeled pending pick up.
- Keeps constant communication with Transportation Manager, Shipping Coordinator, Inventory Control and Sales Associates to ensure proper loading flow.
- Maintains all food safety documentation as required.
- Provides training/ cross training. Motivates and evaluates employees’ performance and provides counseling when necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job specification satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform these activities:
EDUCATION, LICENSES and/or EXPERIENCES:
- Minimum of 5 year on fast paced distribution facility or similar. Produce experience preferred. Any equivalent combination or experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Written communication – ability to write simple or routine memos and other correspondence for internal use only.
- Verbal communication – ability to speak in simple terms in one-on-one situations and small groups.
- Budgetary development – position operates within established budgets but does not have budgetary responsibility.
- Project management – ability to plan projects. May coordinate team roles or facilitate team progress toward goals.
- Computer skills, i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. - Ability to utilize software or technical applications and systems at a beginner level, as needed. Beginner in ERP software.
- Fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Job knowledge – requires advanced knowledge acquired through 5-10 years of prior job experience and educational background.
- Problem solving skills – ability to understand and carry out detailed written and verbal instructions and to deal with problems involving a few variables in standardized situations..
- Level of persuasion and/or influencing of others – ability to present ideas, opinions, suggestions; some participation in group decision-making process.
- Coaching, mentoring, or counseling – daily involvement in developing and motivating all team members..
- Level of autonomy when considering alternatives or options in resolution of problems – decisions are made in routine situations, or where the consequences of error are major.
- Mental effort – requires individual to occasionally juggle shifting priorities and deadlines and deal with limited complex issues.
- Level of independent judgment or discretion – makes decisions, which are a result of the individual’s exercise of discretion, and independent judgment, and are subject to review by another individual.
SKILLS and PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must:
- Frequently sit, talk, hear, stand, walk, feel and grasp objects; and lift and/or move objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Occasionally climb, balance, crouch, crawl, kneel, reach with hands and arms; and lift and/or move objects weighing up to 100 pounds (with assistance.)
- Daily operation of forklift and or pallet jacks.
- Specific vision requirements required by the job include constantly exercising peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus; frequently looking at a monitor; and occasionally exercising color vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENTWork environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Frequently exposed to extreme heat and cold (50 degrees< ; >95 degrees); occasionally exposed to toxic chemicals, moving parts, electrical shock risk, and fumes.
- The noise level in the work environment is high.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. Although no job profile can adequately detail the full scope of duties necessary, the requirements listed above are a representation of the levels of knowledge, skill, ability and/or behavior required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform these activities..
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the job incumbent. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and behaviors required to perform the job.