In case you didn’t know, these aren’t really dragon eyes. Longans gained this nickname because when the fruit is peeled, the dark brown seed can be seen through the translucent flesh and resembles a pupil. And being native to tropical Asia, it greatly resembled the bulging eyes of dragons commonly depicted in Chinese art. This fruit is related to the lychee and is grown in a similar way. The biggest difference? The flavor. Where lychee is sweet, longans have a musky, drier sweetness.
- Grab the stem and peel away the skin over a bowl using your fingers.
- Gently remove the inner seed.
- Eat on its own or add to fruit salads, cocktails, juices, and more.
Try to eat as quickly as possible upon purchase. Store in a sealed bag or open container for 2-3 days. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Depends on grower tree flower forcing.
- Low in calories with zero fat
- Similar nutritional value to the lychee fruit
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.