1/2 gallon water
6 pcs pink guava
1/2 pc papaya
4 pcs mango
4 pcs passion fruit
2” pc ginger
10” pc of sugar Cane
3 oz. piloncillo
0.7 oz. (20 grams) of dried hibiscus flowers
1 cinnamon stick
Rum, mezcal or tequila (if serving the ponche with alcohol)
1) Pour the water into a large pot.
2) Add the dried hibiscus flowers, cinnamon stick, piloncillo and boil for 10 minutes or until the piloncillo has dissolved.
3) Remove the hibiscus flowers with the help of a spoon and add a cup of water.
4) Peel and cut the mango and cut in cubes.
5) Scoop the seeds out of the papaya, peel and cut in 1/2 inch cubes.
6) Peel the guava, cut in eights and remove the seeds with a teaspoon.
7) Peel the ginger and shred with a cheese grater.
8) Peel the sugar cane and cut in 1/2 inch slices. You can cut also long sticks to use later as garnish.
9) Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the pulp and seeds with a spoon.
10) Add the mango, sugar cane, papaya, guava and passion fruit to the pot and simmer for 25 more minutes.
11) Your ponche is ready to be served. Add a portion of the fruits and liquid in mugs and add the desired amount of “piquete” (alcohol) to your mug.