1 whole calabaza
1 pc turmeric
1″ pc ginger
4 garlic cloves
2 pcs white onion
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 bunch thyme
2 cups water
1) Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
2) Cut the calabaza in 8 pieces and scoop out the seeds.
3) Peel and cut the onion in half.
4) Peel the turmeric and cut in 1/2 inch pieces.
5) Toss the calabaza, turmeric, onion and garlic in olive oil with salt and pepper.
6) Spread the vegetables evenly in an oven tray and add rosemary on top.
7) Cook until the calabaza is tender, about 25 to 20 minutes.
8) Once it’s ready, let it cool down for a few minutes and remove the skin.
9) Cut a few small cubes and reserve for garnish.
10)Fill a pot with the water and add the calabaza, onion, garlic and thyme.
11) Bring to a boil, reduce fire and simmer for 15 minutes.
12) Peel the ginger and add 1/2 into the blender .Transfer to a blender and mix.
13) Grate the second half of the ginger on top as garnish when serving the reserved cubes of calabaza.
Important; the soup in the blender will be very hot, its recommended to cover with a kitchen rag while mixing and be very careful when removing the lid.