Tropical Sweet and Sour Yuca Fritters with Ginger Rice
Give a tropical touch to your Chinese New Year’s celebration.
For The Fritters:
1 pc yuca
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. salt
2 cups frying oil
1 pc mango
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1″ pc ginger
1/2 Tbsp. Sambal Oelek
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp Sesame seeds
For The Rice:
1.5” pc ginger
3/4 cups water
½ cup Jasmine rice
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. salt
1) Peel the yuca and cut in 3-inch pieces and then into quarters. Boil for 12-15 minutes.
2) Clean the yuca, and in a bowl mix with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and egg.
3) Shape into fritters and put in freezer for 30 minutes.
4) In a small pot, place the mango, sugar, water, rice vinegar, ginger, sambal and garlic to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
5) In a blender purée the mixture until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
6) Coat the fritters in cornstarch and deep fry for 3 minutes.
7) Once ready remove from the oil and toss the fritters in the sweet and sour sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds.
1) Peel and chop the ginger as small as possible and transfer to a small saucepan.
2) Add 1 1/2 cups water, rice, butter, and salt to same pan. Cover; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let rice sit 10 minutes. Uncover; fluff rice with fork.