Tostones with Spicy Mango Queso
When combining mango, plantain and cheese, nothing bad can ever happen.
2 pcs plantain
1 cup vegetable oil
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
1 pc mango
1 pc Habanero Pepper
2 Tbsp. cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
For the Tostones:
1) Cut the ends of the plantains and a line lengthwise through the skin only. If possible, peel with you own hands. If it is too hard, you can boil or fry the whole plantain for 3 minutes and then peeling will be easier.
2) Cut the plantain into 1-inch pieces and fry until it starts bubbling. Remove and when warm, flatten smoothly with the bottom of a flat pot or a plate. Deep-fry the plantains until golden. Remove and quickly add salt.
For the Mango cheese:
1) Peel and cut the mango in 1/4 inch cubes and chop the habanero finely.
2) Shred the cheddar cheese.
3) In a pot put heavy cream and cream cheese and bring to almost a boil, then whisk to combine.
4) Reduce fire and add the shredded cheddar cheese while mixing.
5) Remove from the fire and add the Habanero and chopped mango.