Frituras de malanga, or malanga fritters are grated malanga combined with egg and flavored with parsley, garlic, salt and vinegar. They’re crispy on the outside, tender and mild on the inside. In Cuban cuisine, frituras de malanga are served as an appetizer or snack.
• 2 malangas
• 4 garlic cloves
• Parsley to taste
• 1 egg
• Salt to taste
1. Peel skin from the malanga.
2. Grate malanga pieces using medium grating holes instead of large ones. Place the grated malanga into bowl.
3. Using a zester, grate garlic.
4. Finely chop parsley into small pieces.
5. Add the egg, chopped parsley, grated garlic, and salt into bowl and mix.
6. Add egg mixture to the grated malanga and stir until ingredients are combined. Mixture will have a doughy consistency.
7. Add oil to a large deep skillet and heat in medium-high heat.
8. Using a small scoop, drop fritters by the tablespoon into the hot oil. Make sure the oil is not too hot or the fritters will brown quickly on the outside and wont cook on the inside. Fry 6 or 7 at a time.
9. Cook for 2-3 minutes total, flipping them every 30 seconds until golden brown on each side.
Enjoy the taste of homegrown! If you tried this recipe, let us know by sharing a photo or video of your finished product on Instagram or Facebook and tagging us @JCTropicals.