- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
- 8-oz soft cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp light rum
- 3 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup pureed mamey sapote
- Set a saucepan over medium heat and place your sugar in. Continually stir until it becomes rich and brown.
- Pour the browned sugar into a pan, carefully spreading it evenly with up to one inch of sugar. Tilt as you pour to cover the sides as well. and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine both milks, vanilla, rum, cream cheese, and egg into a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Then, add mamey and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture into your sugar-coated pan.
- Place your full pan into a larger pan. Then, pour hot water into your larger pan to a level that is half of your small full pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, cool to room temp, and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, run a thin knife around the edge of your flan. Flip over your flan onto a plate with a lip (this is to catch any syrup that may run).
- Can be served with a spoonful of caramel syrup.