At J&C Tropicals, we’ll never forget our humble beginnings and the root vegetable that started it all. Our legacy began when our father was forced to leave Cuba and came to the U.S. with nothing to his name. Our grandfather, who was also a farmer, would send him boniato slips to plant. J&C’s specialty are a type of sweet potato commonly referred to as “Cuban Sweet Potato” although they are tropic in origin and look more like a yam.
Boniato embodies the flavor of a slightly less sweet and moist sweet potato. Also known as batata, boniato’s availability is year-round. Used in many Cuban recipes, it can complement all meats with its smooth, delicate flavor and fluffier consistency. You will be delighted by this truly unique sweet potato.
- Peel the boniato and cut into cubes.
- Toss in oil and salt before cooking.
- You can use this versatile sweet potato as you would any potato—as a side dish you can mash, bake, boil, fry, or cream.
Store in a cool, dry pantry for up to 2 weeks.
- Good source of fiber
- Good source of energy for those who are engaged in extraneous physical activities, such as sports
- Resistant starch that provides satiety and reduces the glycemic index of meals
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.