As the saying goes, “Calabaza, calabaza, cada uno pa’ su casa,” which literally translates to “Pumpkin, pumpkin, everyone to their homes.” Calabaza is a hybrid between a pumpkin and a squash commonly referred to as the Cuban pumpkin or Cuban squash. They are popular in Hispanic countries, mainly Cuba, and throughout the Caribbean. When cooked, it is smooth, fine-textured, and has a mild, sweet, and nutty flavor similar to butternut or acorn squash.
J&C Tropicals also carries fairytale, long neck, and yema varietals.
- Place the calabaza on a clean cutting board and slice off the top with a sharp serrated knife.
- Peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler or paring knife.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard or roast the seeds for a crunchy, healthy snack with a pinch of salt.
- Roast it as is or cut into wedges or equally sized cubes to be prepared.
- Best suited for cooked applications such as baking, steaming, roasting, grilling, braising, or sautéing.
When stored unwashed in a cool and dark place, calabaza will last 1-2 months. Cut pieces will keep up to 1 week when wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator.
Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, and Panama
- Low in calories
Serving Size: 8oz (170g)
Naturally Cholesterol Free
Naturally Fat Free
One cup of Calabaza is low in calories
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.