This root vegetable has been cultivated for more than 6,000 years. We’re talking Mesopotamia times for those who took World History in school. Dasheen is a variety of taro root with segments called corms and tubers. Natural sugars within this vegetable impart a sweet, nutty flavor profile. This must be cooked before eating and may be prepared in ways similar to a potato.
- Scrub well (wear gloves) and remove the skin with a peeler. (If you don’t have disposable gloves, coat your hands with cooking oil before peeling)
- Cut or slice as needed.
- Either boil and cook immediately or place in a bowl of cold water.
Store in a cool, dry place for a few days. Do not refrigerate. Use once they are soft.
- Good source of fiber with a variety of plant-based compounds, minerals, and vitamins
- This starchy vegetable contains complex carbs that keep you satiated – that means you’ll feel fuller longer and potentially reduce the number of calories you consume in a day
- Fiber and resistant starches within dasheen may be beneficial to your gut health
Serving Size: 100g
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.