When you wish upon a star (fruit) you get the sweet and sour taste of a delicious and nutritious ingredient also known as carambola. When cut across the middle, star fruit stays true to its name and visually looks like a five-point star with a sweet-tart taste. When ripe, star fruit appears mainly bright yellow with tinges of light green. They may have a dark brown tone along the ridges, which is expected as the flesh should still be quite firm. Overly ripe star fruit turns entirely yellow with brown spots all over.
- Rinse to prepare.
- Cut off both ends and slice across the ridges.
- Remove seeds with your fingers or a small knife. (Optional)
- Enjoy raw or cooked as an added sweet flavor or garnish to numerous dishes and beverages.
Store ripe star fruits for 2-3 days or keep unwashed in a sealed bag within your refrigerator for up to 1 week.
July – February
- Extremely low in calories
- Rich in Vitamin C
- Known for its heart-friendly benefits
Serving Size: 1 medium fruit (3-5/8" long) (91g)
Excellent source of Vitamin C and provides a boost of fiber.
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.