Malanga, similar to a yam in appearance and a potato in flavor, is a versatile root commonly used in Central American and Caribbean cooking. Malanga is notably given to patients suffering from stomach ulcers as it coats the lining of the stomach. This root vegetable can be compared to the taro and cassava but has a woodsy taste with a hint of black walnut. Especially common in Cuba and Puerto Rico, it is typically deep-fried as fritters or chips, but can be cooked in a variety of ways.
J&C Tropicals carries malanga blanca, lila, isleña, coco, and amarilla (yellow).
- Clean the malanga root with a brush under running water.
- Trim the ends and peel the skin to prepare before cooking. Malanga can be mashed, baked, boiled, sautéed, and more.
Store in room temperature setting. Use within a week of buying as this root tends to dry out after long periods of time.
We source from Ecuador (blanca and lila), Costa Rica (blanca, islena, lila), Honduras (blanca), and Mexico (only for coco).
- Allergy-friendly food
- Complex carb that’s a good source of potassium for overall health
- High in fiber and more nutrient-dense than a potato
- Low on the glycemic index as it does not spike blood sugar as much as traditional root vegetables
Serving Size: 8oz (132g)
Trending right now
Exotic is exciting… try one of these unique products for an inspiring new food experience.